Vegan pumpkin spice cake that’s super easy to prepare! Moist, dense, perfectly spiced and topped with a light cinnamon-maple icing.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cinnamon-Maple Icing
So it’s the last week of October, and I realized I:
1) Had a can of pumpkin puree that has been in the pantry since we lived in our apartment;
2) Said can of pumpkin puree had a best-before date of October 24 (#winning); and
3) I hadn’t yet made ANYTHING pumpkin spice this fall (WTF am I doing with my life?)
This set of circumstances obviously led me to creating this vegan pumpkin spice cake, and it was a total hit. OMG. OMG!
We had some friends over to watch a hockey game and they were my guinea pigs for this recipe. To be honest, when I finished blending all the ingredients I was doubtful it was going to work out, because the batter was so thick. However, I stopped myself from adding more liquid because I did that to the last cake I made and it came out SUPER dense (you won’t find that recipe here on the blog for good reason!).
I texted my friend Jenn while this cake was baking and described myself as having ‘dubious confidence’ in how this cake would turn out…
But I shouldn’t have worried! This vegan pumpkin spice cake is moist, flavourful, and partially made with whole wheat flour, so it’s like, healthy right? I shouldn’t feel bad about eating it?
I’ll jump right into the recipe because I don’t want you to spend any more precious hours of your life NOT eating this cake. Seriously.
What you’ll need:
For the cake:
1 cup brown sugar – .75
1 tbsp white sugar – .05
1 cup pumpkin puree – .43
1/3 cup canola oil – .15
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (almond milk is fine too, just make sure it’s unsweetened) – .15
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract – .25
1/2 cup all purpose flour – .15
1/2 cup whole wheat flour – .20
1/2 tbsp + 1tsp cinnamon – .05
1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice blend – .15
1 tsp ground cloves – .05
¼ tsp cardamom – trace
3/4 tsp nutmeg – .02
1/2 tsp salt – .05
1/4 tsp chili powder (yes, chili powder) – trace
2 tsp baking powder – .20
For the icing:
1/2 cup vegan margarine (or butter), room temperature/softened – .89
1 3/4 cup icing sugar – .50
1 tbsp maple syrup – .10
1 tsp cinnamon – .05
What you do:
1) Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9×9 pan with vegan margarine and set aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, soy milk and vanilla (ideally with a hand mixer to blend thoroughly).
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, spices, salt and baking powder).
4) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl a bit at a time, mixing thoroughly as you go and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. I was super worried when this was too thick, but fear not! It will turn out well!
5) Transfer to the greased pan and spread out the top of the batter with a spatula. Transfer to the oven and bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely. Your house now smells amazing.
6) In a large mixing bowl, combine the icing ingredients using a hand mixer. Blend until thoroughly combined and smooth (this icing is on the thicker side too). Once your cake has cooled, spread the icing over the entire cake, and sprinkle with some cinnamon to finish it off. Now you can lick the spatula and eat any leftover icing in the bowl. You wouldn’t want good food to go to waste, now would you? 😉
Makes 9 large square slices.
Total cost: $4.19
Cost per serving: .47 cents!
Like what you see here? Subscribe below to keep in touch about all things Pennywise, and receive your FREE copy of my 15-page mini e-book How to Eat Cheap on a Vegan Diet!