Vegan Broccoli Soup (‘Cheesy’ + Creamy)
I really like broccoli. Like really really. Which is excellent because nutritionally it’s the bomb-diggity, it’s cheap and super versatile in all kinds of recipes – raw, steamed, fried, pureed – you name it! Your Mama told you to eat your broccoli and she was right. There go those Mamas, being right all the time…
I finally perfected this recipe for vegan broccoli soup after a few just-okay attempts. My fiance was my guinea pig for several incarnations of this one and gave me very helpful feedback. Fortunately he has a broad palette and will eat almost anything as long as it’s vegan 😉 But when he spooned this one into his mouth, the look on his face told me all I needed to know about this final recipe!
Nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar provide a tangy-cheesy flavour, and the coconut milk makes this vegan broccoli soup deliciously creamy. Add in the super-nutrients and amazing taste from the broccoli, garlic, onions and turmeric, and you’ve got yourself one hell of a satisfying soup. You’ll probably lick the bowl. Please be sure to snap a selfie when you do (like, actually. I want to see that).
This one makes awesome weekday lunches paired with a chunk of crusty bread, and is easy to double, though you’ll need a lot of broccoli! It keeps really well in the freezer too so if you’re a Pennywise Smarty Pants you’ll make several batches of this during the warm months when broccoli is in season – and even cheaper than normal! – and freeze it for the fall and winter.
I hope you enjoy it!
What you’ll need:
10 cups broccoli florets ($4.25)
8 cups vegetable broth (.50)
1 14 oz can coconut milk (light or full-fat) ($2.50)
1 cup nutritional yeast (“nooch”) ($1.15)
2 small white cooking onions (.05)
1 small red onion (.05)
6 large cloves garlic (yes, 6), diced (.80)
1 generous tbsp. plain Dijon mustard (.05)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (.05)
2 tbsp canola or olive oil, or refined coconut oil (no coconut flavour) (.10)
¼ tsp thyme (trace)
½ tsp turmeric (trace)
Fresh ground pepper, to taste (trace)
What you do:
1) Sautee onions and garlic in oil on low-medium heat until soft and just browning at the edges
2) Add broth and broccoli and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes
3) Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner to cool
4) Working in batches, puree on high in your food processor and return the soup to the pot
5) Set heat to medium and add the remaining ingredients, stirring in thoroughly
6) Cover and summer for another 10 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately or allow to cool, then freeze or pop in the fridge for this week’s lunches!
Makes about 6 meal-sized portions
Cost per portion: $1.58