Vegan bran muffins that are moist, refined sugar free, and SO easy to make! They’re awesome for popping in the freezer to have healthy snacks ready to go any time!
Vegan Bran Muffins with Banana, Berries and Cinnamon
I’ve been trying to up my muffin game, and an over-ripe banana recently inspired me to give some vegan bran muffins a whirl. Also, I was just craving a bran muffin, which had my 31 year old self excited to make them, and my 15 year old self going “Seriously? Bran muffins? Ugh.”
At least I’m self-aware 😉
This was one of those rare recipes where I actually got it right on the first try! I used that pitiful banana that was crying out to be eaten, added some frozen berries from the freezer and a dash of cinnamon (because I have trouble NOT adding cinnamon to everything I bake – I LOVE cinnamon!), added a touch of refined sugar free sweetness with some pure maple syrup, and voila! Vegan bran muffins that actually taste totally awesome. They’re moist, delightfully sweet without tasting like cake, and LOADED with healthy fats and fibre to keep your insides happy!
I love having food in the freezer for lazy cooking days or quick weeknight turnarounds, and I find these vegan bran muffins freeze really well! It’s such a great snack to have on hand when you’re rushing out of the house in the morning and forgot breakfast, or when you know you’ve got a long afternoon ahead of you and you’ll need a 3pm pick-me-up that won’t have your blood sugar crashing back down to Earth an hour later…
Vegan Bran Muffins
What you need:
1 flax ‘egg’ – (see instructions below) – .20
1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk (I like cashew for this, but almond or soy are good too!) – .80
1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar – .10
1/4 cup pure maple syrup – $1.36
1/4 cup canola or coconut oil – .15
1 tsp vanilla extract – .10
1 medium banana, very ripe – .20
1/2 cup flour (white or whole wheat) – .15
2 1/2 cups wheat bran – $2.98
1 tsp baking powder – .10
1/2 tsp baking soda – .05
1/2 tsp salt – trace
1/2 tsp cinnamon – .05
1 cup small berries of choice (I like a blueberry and raspberry blend, but you could do cranberry or currents, etc.) – $1.80
What you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
1) Mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp cold water in a small bowl or remekin. Set aside. This will thicken into a gel-like consistency.
2) In another small bowl, blend the unsweetened non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, mash your banana very thoroughly with a fork until it’s as smooth as you can get it.
4) Pour the flax egg and milk/vinegar blends into the bowl with the banana and stir well. Add the other wet ingredients to that bowl and combine thoroughly.
5) In another large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a bit at a time and mix with a spoon or spatula until fully blended.
6) Finally, fold in the berries until they are just combined. Don’t over-blend, since you want them to stay in nice chunks!
7) Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool before freezing.
Total cost: $8.04
Cost per muffin: .67 cents!
Like what you see here? Subscribe below to keep in touch about all things Pennywise, and receive your FREE copy of my 15-page e-book How to Eat Cheap on a Vegan Diet!